Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

We Must Obey God!

This last Sunday was a really good exercise in the power of God. I have been operating as a Bible teacher and Teen Care Group leader for the last six months at the Reidland church of Christ. While I was apprehensive to take on this task, I have found that I enjoy the pedagogical aspects of this work. I have enjoyed having to stretch myself. I have enjoyed learning that I can do it.

You see, most of my life I suffered from the belief that maybe I can't do it. Instead of thinking, "I can do it," or more to the point, "I can't do it," there was always a maybe or a doubt in my ability to perform. I heard from early childhood, "Andy is not living up to his potential." Or "He can do better." I knew that there was an expectation that I should perform. I just didn't.

I actually remember a funny time when my father tried to force me to do better. Now my dad was not and is not an ogre, but I believe he just wanted me to succeed. My dad informed me during my third grade year that he was going to spank me at the end of the semester if I brought home on my report card any more C's. I laugh now thinking about my response. It is very typical Andy. I, generally, did nothing but dream of better grades. I, however, put in no actual effort. Naturally, at the end of the semester, I brought home my three C's. That was worth three licks a piece. Trying to outsmart my dad, I wore toilet paper in my pants for three days. When I thought I was in the clear, I took the padding out. Guess when the spanking occurred? Yep, not long after the padding was clear. (I am sure that my dad does not remember this story, but I still laugh at myself. How could I really think that I would fool my dad?) If I look back on my career at school, I am not sure that it would have mattered.

Did my dad spank me because he thought it was fun, I sincerely doubt it. He was trying to motivate me. It is too bad that motivating is as difficult as getting a pig to move out of its puddle on a hot day. I am stubborn. More to the point, I was afraid to move. While I knew that the results of my actions (not doing anything) were detrimental to my health, I was more afraid of trying to succeed or fail as it may be.

As I said earlier, I was afraid to take on some of the responsibilities at church because I did not want to fail. God, however, has been teaching me otherwise. On Sunday, I heard a lesson on the Apostles choosing to have a public ministry in spite of what the Jewish leaders demanded of them. They stated, "We must obey God rather than men! (Acts 5:29)"

At the Teen Care Group on Sunday night, I offered the teens a lesson that has cut my own heart. It goes along with Terrell's lesson and is at the heart of my own struggle. Ezekiel 37 is a text about a Valley of Dry Bones. In this story, the prophet is told by God to preach and prophesy to the bones. As he does, the bones reassemble. They become fleshed. They look like people, yet they are dead. It is not until Ezekiel prophesies for the wind to enter these bodies do they have breath. As this point, a vast army stands before Ezekiel. This Army was nothing but dead bodies until they had breath. After this point, they are powerful and full of life.

Isn't that the point really? In my lifetime, I have been a dead useless body. Oh sure, I look good. I was nice. I was polite to the right people. Yet, I was still a dead body on the valley floor. Nothing more than a dried bone. It is funny because I wanted to be useful and powerful. I wanted to be successful in school. I wanted to be respected and loved, but I did not want to do what it took to become what I wanted to be. I took the easy way because it is easier to accept failure by not trying than to try and fail. I feared not becoming what I wanted to be.

I look back at myself and realize that all along, I have wanted to be a mighty man of God. I have wanted a real relationship with him. I wanted to be counted as a soldier of the Cross. I just did not want to have to have to make the sacrifice. I liked looking good. But where did does this get me?

As long as I (see you and me) stand on the side and say, "I may or may not be able to do it," I never will. It is not until this dead body has the creator's breathe in him that he will live. I have to be willing to say, "I must obey God!" I have to be willing to give God glory by being a failure for him. It is not until I can move past my fear of being embarrassed or ashamed that I can become anything but a dry bone.

Can you really fool your dad? He knows what he has called you to do. May the Lord encourage you to become a fool for him. May you say, "I must obey God" and stop looking like you are alive and become alive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Kellar said...

Andy, Welcome to the Blogging World!!!
I appreciate your thoughts. You couldnt be more right about our need to be willing to put ourselves on the line for him. Right on! Hoep things are going well in KY.

~Josh Kellar

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Great thoughts...although I always love the Ali stories. We sure are excited to be there in just over a week. In the meantime, it is fun to read your thoughts. Tell Randi and Ali hello for us.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As they say, stick up for your dad, he stuck up for you.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home