Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tall Tomatoes

I am not a farmer. I have never been a farmer. I will probably never be a farmer. My dad, who is not a farmer either, grew up on a farm. He kind of values himself as an agricultural type. Since he is an entomologist, I believe that he can be lumped into this field. I, however, will likely never share the fate of being agricultural.

There are attempts on my part. I have raised a plant that my sister gave me a few years ago. I have managed to keep the Aloe plant alive. I fed Rusty the cow ever morning one winter from a pail with a nipple on it. (Ha! Rusty you got yours. We ate you.) I raised show lambs with my family for more years than I can remember. But, alas, I will never be considered a country boy. I am soft in the ways of the farm.

This makes Randi and my plight all that more interesting. Randi and I have planted a garden in our yard in Paducah. It is not a large garden. It really is rather small. The garden grows beside the fence line midway up the yard. It sits partly in the shade during the morning but has some afternoon sun.

Randi has planted squash, zuichini, cucumber, and acorn squash. She also has 7 of the most beautiful tomato plants that you have ever seen. We actually have a tomato plant that is almost 5 feet high. It is gorgeous, only it has not produced any fruit all summer. It has become our family joke. If we were in the contest for the tallest tomato plants, we would win.

Isn't it funny that a tomato plant can look so good and be so worthless. (Terrell, if I can borrow from you...) Jesus stated to his Apostles that the fruit he was looking for in their lives was prayer. He wanted to know that their faith was producing fruit all year round. He actually cursed the fig tree in order to make the point. A real Christian has fruit year round. (Mark 11:12-25)

When I evaluated myself, I said,"Why does that man keep stepping on my toes." The real question is, "How can I be close to God, do great things for him, and appreciate him, if I don't know who he is?" If you are not talking to God, you may be a really tall tomato plant without any fruit. Think about it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Josh Kellar said...

Andy, I am sorry to hear about your poor tomato plant, perhaps there really is a contest for the tallest tomato plant somewhere. If I here anything about it, I will let you know. In the mean time, I will try to get over the fact that you think your daughter's first birthday party is more important than preaching for me. I mean really, how many times have I asked you to preach for me? I guess, I will get over it. Besides, I was hoping you would bring me some tomatoes too.
Have a good day. :o)
~Josh

8:05 PM  
Blogger Andy Willliams said...

I guess that I am just making you unhappy all the way around. Oh, about that preaching thing...I think that you may have asked me to preach about a dozen times. I just know my limitations and the tomatoes are in the mail:)

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,
Thanks for your sharing your insights. I'm inspired to not be a tomato-less tomato plant.

LynnAnne

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,
You Dad is not just a farmer at heart but he is producing great tomatoes this year.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Andy Willliams said...

Maybe green thumbs are genetic. I just have seen mine yet.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the most essential ingredients to raising tomatoes with fruit is sunshine. The same goes for Christians, gotta have Jesus in our lives or we end up being weeds. Tomatoes will grow in reduced light, but may never fruit. Many people are reluctant to get into the full light of Jesus so He can produce fruit in them. Dad

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home