Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Happiness is a Disease

How many times have I heard, "I just want to be happy?" If you listen real closely you can hear the world saying, "Just do whatever makes you happy!" I can't stomach this any longer. It makes me sick to hear it.

It's not that I don't want to be happy or that I don't want others to be happy, but life is not about being happy. Our world, but especially our culture, is sick with the idea that we must be happy at all times. Really, I hear everyday, "Well .... I just wasn't happy in my marriage." Or "He just didn't give me what I need." I am not naive. I understand that some situations will warrant the dissolution of a marriage, but this disease affects us in all areas of our life.

Think about where we eat. McDonalds! What do they call their children's meal? Yes, it is a happy meal. I hear people say, "When I get sad, I just go shopping." Why go shopping? So that I can be happy again.

Personally, my struggle with happiness has always centered on a television and a bag of chips. I find happiness in my belly. It is really starting to show! The problem is that this is not happiness. Now I find that I am unhappy about the way I look. It is kind of funny. All the things I do for happiness just bring me more unhappiness.

So is being happy wrong? It certainly is not! It is just that I am tired of myself and others worshipping the STATE OF HAPPINESS. Happiness is elusive. You will never find 100% satisfaction in anything or anyone. When you are disappointed, happiness will have flitted away.
What I really desire is peace and contentment. I am not sure if I know how to explain this, but Paul the Apostle does a great job when he writes...


4
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. 10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Paul seems to be saying that happiness is not important in the face of adversity. What is important is being at peace with what you have. This passage ends with, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." I believe that strength he gives is the ability to have peace and contentment when the world is all wrong around you.

So, yeah I am sick of hearing... "Just do what makes you happy." It just does not work. Try to be satisfied with what you have. See how that suits you? You may find that your life is much simpler.

I will continue to pray, "God give what I need for today. I want nothing more."

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh Kellar said...

Yeah, I totally agree. It seems as if we as Americans have this entitlement complex which even sometimes says that God wants me to be happy. I have seen this in the therapy room as rationalization to behave in ungodly ways. "God wants me to be happy, so I found someone I can be happy with." I think that we need to replace our sense of entitlement with a sense of dependence on God to get us through those times when we are unhappy.
~JK

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home