Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Language of Stupidity

My friends Mike and Glen remind me that my words are very important. I can say things in a moment that I would never mean in a lifetime. Mike oftens speaks of the "language of blessing." I think that I am cursed by the "language of stupidity."

Recently, I hurt a friend's feelings. I did not mean to do it. I just made a callous remark that was meant to be funny. I thought of it as teasing. You know, teasing can really hurt! It is not that I meant to be ugly(as we say in the South). However, my actions were ugly.

When I was a kid, I did not understand this. I know I still struggle with it. If I did not mean it, it did not count. When I own up to my mistake, this statement does not fly. When you say something, you have to take responsibility for it.

I have to observe my approach with others. If I speak to Ali in a harsh voice, she will cry. I could be saying, "I love you, honey." I, however, have sent her a double message; I love you but I don't. Man, I sure struggle with this. I send double messages too often.

I am learning from this mistake. I am learning that I must salt my words, because I may be eating them later. For those of you I have wronged with insensitive comments, "I am sorry."

May God help me to listen to my words and practice a language that blesses and does not curse.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I wouldn't say language of stupidity but I understand your point. I'm thankful you have a heart that is willing to explore a language of blessing. Thanks for being willing to grow with me and think about the powerful messages our words convey. Blessings

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your postings. Your story of the drunk neighbor was quite amusing! In regards to your Oct post about the true meaning of worship, I just watched a video last night by some guy (can't remember his name) who is involved in the Christiam music scene, Passion worship conferences etc. He was speaking at Youth Specialities and was talking about the same things you talked about. If I can remember who is was, I'll pass it along. You bless my life with your thoughts. Ali's getting so big!
LynnAnne

8:25 AM  
Blogger janjanmom said...

I am so haapy to have found and read your blog...just in time for you to stop posting!! My two cents worth is that you and Randi are both encouragers and very sincere. Your "realness" is refreshing. Sometimes joking with one another creates a fun closeness, a special shared joke. We just have to be cautious of when it gets tiresome or crosses the line into being hurtful. Some people don't have a compass for joking, it seems yours is working.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home