Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Friday, August 12, 2005

God is the Best Fisherman!


Ever wonder why things work out the way they do? Just this morning I was thinking to myself, "Ali's dirty diaper needs to be changed. I think

I'll change it." As I started with this process Randi said, "I'll do it, you don't have time. You'll be late for work." I, however, disagreed and changed Ali's diaper. I guess I just wanted to do it.

On my way to work, I realized that I really like being a daddy. I liked changing my baby's diaper. Don't get me wrong, I try to act like I can't smell the really bad ones sometimes. Maybe if I wait it out, Randi will change her. So don't canonize me yet.

I think it hit me that it is a joy to watch someone who is part of you, grow up. Ali is so funny. She is vibrant. She is grouchy. She is loud. Yet, she is me and I am her. We are of the same flesh. No matter what happens, she will always belong to me. She will always be my daughter.

So I come back to the question, ever wonder why things work out the way they do? Here I was...My wife 3 months pregnant with Ali and I could not even bear to look at her. I was so afraid. I did not want to be a dad. I did not want Randi to be pregnant. No matter how hard I pretended, Ali was not going to go away. Eventually my heart was softened. It was 3 days before Ali was born, but God softened my heart.

It seems to me that God has been fishing with me. I am the fish. He is standing by with a cane pole and a cork saying, "Come on bite it, bite it," and yank he has me hooked. I will probably laugh at myself for the next year as I realize that as soon as I said, "Okay God, I am good with this," he gives me something else.

So for the question again, "Why do things work out the way that they do?" I came home from lunch today to find a drawing on the fridge. My one year old daughter, with the help of mommy, had drawn a picture of the family. She had even managed to label the pictures of eveybody. Guess who was in Mommy's arms? It was not Ali. It was baby duplex. (Not a name I like, but one that Randi's family likes. So I grin and bear it.) I don't think that you can imagine my surprise or shock. Yeah, yeah... I know where babies come from. I just did not expect for it happen again. (Insert laughter here.)

Once more I ask, "Why do things work out the way they do?" I don't have an answer but I really have learned to appreciate God's timing. Yes, I believe that he has helped me. He has softened my heart when it needed to be softened. He has given me peace when there was none to be had. He has given me courage in the face of adversity. I guess things work out the way they do because everything has a time and place.

I will continue to pray, "God give me what I need as I need it. Nothing more, nothing less."

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Congratulations to Ali. Being A Big sister will be fun.
deb

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does DUPLEX mean what we think it does? We'll welcome them as they come. Dad and Mom

1:44 PM  
Blogger Andy Willliams said...

If by Duplex you understand it to mean the number two, you have deduced correctly.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home