Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I believe it but I can't see it

Ali has got to be confused. She knows what babies look like. She loves to hold her baby doll. She get so excited when she sees babies at church. She even makes a sign with her arms that signifies she is rocking a baby. She knows babies. She may be more of an expert than I am. So it seems that she has to be confused about Randi's pregnancy.

Randi and I have been trying to prepare her for the upcoming birth. We point to mommy's tummy and tell her the baby is in there. She, however, has gotten it into her head that we are talking about belly buttons. It was not until she pointed to her own belly button and signaled baby that we realized what she was thinking.

Even more funny, she now wants to see Daddy's baby. Yes, Daddy looks like he has a baby, but he doesn't have a baby. She, however, does not have the ability to understand this distinction. What is the difference to her? It is simple to her. She evaluates what people tell her and makes determinations from it.

Ali thought, "I understand babies." Then, she was thrown a curve. I guess she is able to move and change. While her understanding is technically wrong, she is trying to comprehend new ideas. She is trying to incorporate them into her life. It would be great if I could learn to flex and change as she does.

I pray that God will continue to mold me to hear his voice and do his will even when it does not make sense to my mind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lesli said...

It was funny to hear Micah Morris try to understand when Summer was pregnant with Rebekah! He thought Summer's stomach was Rebekah's room with a closet & bed! It was cute!

It does amaze me how easy kids are to change & new ideas. If we were receptive to God the way they are to life, I have a strong feeling that our world would look differently! Maybe that's part of why Jesus says in Matthew that we should all be like little children! How much they teach us...

Hope your family is well!

Lesli

7:01 AM  
Blogger janjanmom said...

The real fun is when she asks an oveweight stranger in Walmart if she or yes even he has a baby.

Oh the fun you will have.

We become humble because our children make us...the hard way!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Lesli said...

I just realized that I have the type of blog that won't allow you to just click on our names to get our blog. So, here it is if you ever want to read it: ryanandlesli.blogspot.com

Hope all is well!

Lesli

6:49 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey Andy! Great insight for our lives. Thanks for sharing. I'm continually amazed at what we can learn from children. In fact I just posted on that idea recently. Hopefully my blog life has been resurrected! Miss ya friend.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home