Always Learning

Andy's thoughts and other musings

Friday, February 10, 2006

Barbarian Couture

In my men's study on Tuesday nights, we have been reading a book on what it means to have real powerful faith. The book is called The Barbarian Way. This is the premise of this book: We as Christians have gotten soft. We like our comforts and believe it is our right to have them. When we meet someone who calls us out of comfort, we run them off.

I have been thinking about this in my own life. For a long time, I have been happy to stay in my own comfortable world. I like the ways things are going and I don't want to change. I don't want to be challenged to give up what is most important to me.

The author suggests that "Christianity" has become nothing more than another stale world religion. This statement blew me out of my shoes. It is a quid pro quo. I hear myself saying, "Hey, Jesus! You scratch my back and I will scratch yours." As a group, we Christians have looked at wealth and prosperity as a G0d given thing. Even our view of heaven points to this. We see heaven as a prize. What? I have heard and was baptized for this same reason. "I want to go to Heaven not Hell!" (I am sure many people move past this thought, but how many people don't grow up?) I want to see Heaven as the ends to the means. I won't to be in Heaven because that is where God is. Our faith is not about what we can get out of it.

Ask John the Baptist or the rich young ruler. They were called out of their comforts. You might say that John the Baptist never had known comfort, but he did give his head in the service of God. I define being a barbarian as willing to give all you have for a cause. In the society in which I live, this thought is reckless. When I look to John the Baptist or Jesus, they did not appeal to the social norms. They were about change. They were about sacrifice. They were willing to give their last penny to the cause.

I know that some will be uncomfortable with these thoughts. That is okay. I wonder though, "Am I a barbarian or a ballerina?"

5 Comments:

Blogger janjanmom said...

Can someone help me find my tutu? HEEHEE. Good post, I had someone else recommend reading that book. IT scares me...I'm dancing as fast as I can!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Josh Kellar said...

Jesus gave up his "right" to be in Heaven so he could be with us didn't he? Isn't that what Christianity is all about anyway? Giving up our rights?

Good post Andy, Hope you and your family are doing well!

~JK

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be challenged like that...I pray that I can accept those challenges...Looking forward to seeing you guys.
LynnAnne

8:49 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Andy and Randi: Have been expecting to see new pics of the baby and ALi, I fixed my blog so I believe it will work now, I trust you are all well, I think of you all often Andy, from Nallerina to football player, you will have a busy schedule huh, Bye for now, Peggy

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, get up with the Waxer, he's been looking for you: dwax@firstcoastnews.com.

Chuckie Petra PMAT
kona1611@yahoo.com

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home